“The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are.”
In the above quote notice the word, become. When we hear the word, authentic in the above title, we think of being who we really are, being true to our convictions, showing others that we can feel, give of ourselves unconditionally, etc. There are times, however, that exposing our entire story can turn against us. Transparency is a delicate thing. Your story can be so much better with time. How to be authentic: You can become who you truly are by watching the behaviors of others who you admire. It is all about learning to take on a better you. And when you have that knowledge your story will be even a better one.
How to become who you truly are: (How to be authentic)
- Choose 3 or 4 people you admire for their accomplishments or leadership expertise. Make time to ask some powerful questions that relate to risk taking, challenges, fears, needs, and feelings that move these people forward.
- Develop questions to ask yourself along the same lines.
- Compare the answers
- What did you learn from your selected group that could help you move forward in career or life goals?
- What do you see in yourself that showed up as barriers to moving forward?
- Draw a picture of you inside a box. With in the box write all things that make you feel comfortable. Ex: small projects that I know something about. Write about 5 comforts.
- Draw yourself inside a box, and this time draw arrows outside the box at all things that make you uncomfortable. Ex: Cold calling new client
New concept: Outside the box, where thinking is large, is a freeing experience. The new concept is: Build your own unique box and create your entrepreneurial spirit of ideas close to you. This is not a box that limits your thinking; it is focusing your thinking to bring you closer to what you really were meant to be doing.
What can you work on to be the person you can become? Make that stretch and feel the growth potential. How to be authentic will come to you with experience.
“If you trade your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment, and inexplicable grief.”
Contact: Isabel@uniquepathways.com to get out of the box that is holding you back and Get Real! Become the authentic person you can be.