“From a little spark may burst a mighty flame”. -Dante
In my New Year’s blog, I use the metaphor of lighting a fire to get started on your journey. This fire will not stay ignited unless you keep it fueled. I have some ideas for you to continue to stoke this fire so that your motivation to do what you truly want to do IS “going to set the world on fire!”
Your “growth mind set “ (Dr.Carol Dweck-Stanford University study) to accept a challenge will differentiate you from all others. It will give you the open opportunity to see that you are not held back by your perceived notion that your IQ or your talents define you for life.
- Have the end result in sight, something you really want, so you can lay out your path: visualize how that looks and how you feel in the moment.
- Consider the value of achieving this goal; if it works, then the benefit is… If it doesn’t work then I will… (Positive plan B) Throw another log on the fire.
- Learn to ask questions, for those who do, learn so much about what they need to know to be successful in their pursuits.
- Share your goal with someone who you trust to champion you and your ideas.
- Engage an accountability partner-declare your goal, set up a time frame for each step, and make a plan to report back to your partner to discuss how things worked out because of what you did or did not do during the week.
- Make a list of your positive attributes and keep honing them.
- Look for opportunities in the “not so good” outcomes
Be the catalyst that helps light fires under others as well. Being in the company of others with “growth mind sets” keeps your fire glowing.